IACAP 2014 Early Registration Now Open
|Registration Type||Early||After June 2nd|
Please select below for early registration:
Call for Papers: IACAP 2014
Deadline for abstracts & symposia: 15.3.14
The Annual Meeting of the International Association for Computing and Philosophy
July 2-4, 2014
Organisation: Vincent C. Müller & the IACAP Executive Committee
Computing technologies both raise philosophical questions and shed light on traditional philosophical problems; it is this two-way relation that is the focus of IACAP meetings since 1986.
We invite submission of abstracts, as well as submission of proposals for symposia on computing and philosophy. This year’s meeting will have a single main track, focusing on topics which proved to be at the core of IACAP member’s interest. In parallel, the symposia will focus on more specific topics, organised autonomously by members or member groups. One symposium will be dedicated to the work of young researchers.
We will publish selected papers in a volume of the ‘Synthese Library’ (Springer). Authors of accepted abstracts will be invited to submit a full paper for peer-review to this volume.
Some abstracts will be accepted for presentation as posters. For papers, we foresee slots of 30 minutes per talk, including discussion.
Judith Simon (ITU Kopenhagen)
Hector Zenil (Karolinska Institute, Stockholm)
Selmer Bringsjord (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY) – Covey Award Winner
Gualterio Piccinini (U Missouri- St. Louis) – Simon Award Winner
Simon Knight (Open University) – Brian Michael Goldberg Memorial Award Winner
Gregory Chatin (Federal University of Rio de Janeiro) – symposium speaker
S. Barry Cooper (University of Leeds) – symposium speaker
- Young reseachers symposium – Organiser: VCM
- History and philosophy of computing – Organisers: Giuseppe Primiero and Liesbeth De Mol
- Anti-reductionist computational metaphors in evolution, metamathematics and the contemporary human self-image – Organiser: Gordana Dodig-Crnkovic
- Robotics: from Science Fiction to Legal Fact – Organisers: Sabine Thuermel, Fiorella Battaglia, Barbara Henry
- … more to be confirmed
Topics of interest:
• Artificial Intelligence
• Artificial Life
• Cognitive Science, Computation & Cognition
• Computational Modeling in Science and Social Science
• Computer-Mediated Communication
• Distance Education and Electronic Pedagogy
• Ethical Problems and Societal Impact of Computation and Information
• History of Computing
• Information Culture and Society
• Metaphysics of Computing
• Philosophy of Information
• Philosophy of Information Technology
• Virtual Reality
… and related issues
For abstracts, we request anonymous submission of 600-1000 words (plus references) in plain text or PDF, plus a short abstract of up to 120 words. All submissions will be reviewed double-blind by at least two members of the programme committee.
For symposia, please provide a brief motivation (ca. 300 words), a list of envisaged speakers, and indication of time needed (full day, half day, etc.).
Submission of symposium proposals: 15 March 2014
Submissions of abstracts: 15 March 2014 [extended]
Notification of acceptance or rejection: 14 April 2014
(for symposia, we respond asap)
Submission on EasyChair at https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iacap2014
More details on http://www.pt-ai.org/iacap/2014/online-submission